Google Analytics

Tuesday 21 May 2024

The Carnival Is Over

Yorkshire Square Eight

My last post created some nostalgia for village community life, now remembered only vaguely. Little remained beyond the nineteen-fifties. Much of what we know is second-hand. 

I could have said so much more. Pre-television, pre-car-ownership, pre-eating out, pre-foreign holidays, people created their own entertainment. There were dances, a drama group, a music and opera society, and sports teams. 

I remember the annual fairs on the village green, which my grandma oddly called the village “Fe-ast”, when parts of larger fairs stopped off on their travels around the country, possibly on the way to Hull Fair. The loud piping of fairground organs, the ring of slot machines, the smell of saucy hot dogs, the colour and blur of the rides, the force of bumping cars (dodgems), swings, roundabouts, rifles with rigged sights, brightly coloured wooden ducks swirling through torrents of water, excited voices, all above the hum of diesel generators, still take me back there, to the age of six or seven. 

Then there were the village carnivals, maybe not every year, fading away by my day. So much time, energy, organisation and creativity went into them. There was real talent in the village. The costumes were particularly impressive. 

The 1937 carnival programme named more than 150 participants, mainly children. Proceedings opened with a procession of Heralds, The Lord Chamberlain, the Crown bearer, Standard bearers and Pages, and the crowning of the May Queen. The Queen was presented with a bouquet, and her Courtiers and Maids of Honour received representatives of Britannia, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Peace. 

The main proceedings consisted of children’s dances. There was a Yorkshire Square Eight, Butterfly dancers, Milkmaids and Boy Blues, Spring Flower dancers, a nursery rhyme medley, Indians and Palefaces, Fairies and Elves, Sailors hornpipe and signals, and Jockeys. There were two maypole dances, the first creating a single plait and gypsy tent, the second a double plait, spider’s web and barber’s pole. Later there were larger group dances: a Circassian Circle and a “Mage on a Cree”. The day ended with a march led by the Queen, her Court and a band of toy soldiers. No doubt there were other adult activities well into the evening. I don’t have the pages naming the organisers. Nor do I know how the music was provided, or who designed and made the costumes. 

The programme lists the names of my mother, her brother and sister, and many of her “cousins” and friends. She danced in the Yorkshire Square Eight (above, top row, left). Her cousin, Jean, is in front of her. Jean would later lose a son in an awful railway accident. Another cousin, Alfie, is third from the right on the top row. Her friend, Kitty, is fourth from the right on the bottom row. I went with my mother to watch the Coronation on their television. 

Mother’s brother was an elf (below, top row, third from left). Her sister was a milkmaid (second picture below, top row, fourth from left). Her sister was the only one of four siblings to live to a good age. Other cousins and relatives appear in these pictures, too. 

Fairies and Elves
Milkmaids and Boy Blues
What does any of it matter now? The kids aren’t bothered. And those earlier children were soon to be shaken from their idyll, violently thrown into today’s world of conflict and events in far away lands. My uncle, the little boy in the elf outfit, died overseas on National Service in a tragic air force accident at only twenty-three. I can just remember him. He was clever; a plumber. He would have done well in the building boom. His widow, astonished that after sixty-five years without contact I still called her “Aunty R”, told me how she had arrived back on the bus from work to be told the awful news by my grandfather. My poor grandfather, who had lost all his own siblings when young, and now a son. And his own father would have told him how he was only one of two out of eleven to live beyond their thirties, their names and dates recorded carefully in the family bible. It was all so long ago. It’s just nostalgia.  

32 comments:

  1. Well you pressed the"Play" button on my mental jukebox Tasker. That's a song title by The Seekers. One of my dad's favourites from about 1967 me thinks? Nostalgia is better than neuralgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had another title ready, but that came into my head as I was about to post. It captures what it says.

      Delete
  2. I ran a village fete once . Bloody hell the Stress!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine, but I bed you didn't have 150 kids. I suppose the school would have handled most of that.

      Delete
  3. The kids in those photos look like they were really enjoying themselves. Such innocent pleasure. This post actually made me feel a little sad but I am not quite sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jaycee. The world was much smaller then, more tightly woven together.

      Delete
    2. I'm not convinced all in the younger groups of kids were enjoying it. But yes, that would be just about their whole world to them.

      Delete
  4. When we look back it's surprising how things have changed. It was a different life. Some things were much better and other things made life much worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I was implying in an indirect way. Good and not so good.

      Delete
  5. Yes, the river of life flows on and on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it still does. And some of it is very troubling.

      Delete
  6. So, post WWII the carnival never really started up again in the way it used to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the Seekers song would have had the same impact with those lyrics.

      Delete
  7. Simpler times, when we knew what was happening locally but had little idea of wider issues. Now, we're bombarded with information from everywhere, which mostly serves to depress. Some people are never light-hearted, but then, maybe they never would have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The information overload today makes people dissatisfied and unhappy with their lives. Constantly comparing ourselves against those with more. And much of the information we get is restricted only to what we want to hear.

      Delete
  8. Another evocative blogpost - conjuring up a sense of those generally happy past times when village girls loved a "saucy" sausage or two. Your uncle was an elf? That's nothing, mine was Rumpelstiltskin! By the way, I like your blog title - pretty subtle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I need to look further into what those dances and maypole shapes. The title captures how things have changed. Difficult time ahead, too.

      Delete
  9. Nostalgia indeed Tasker - nothing wrong with that. I too am trawling through old albums of photos - sadness often, the odd tear but then lots of smiles. As to FE-AST - Lincolnshire is not so far away and that would have been the pronunciation there - and when I married my farmer his Dad was in his nineties and it would have been his pronunciation too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fe-asts. Be-asts. Whe-re. Ovver the-re. They used to tell us off at Primary School for talking like that.

      Delete
  10. Sweet innocence, though of course Laurie Lee stuck a pin in that balloon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother would have said it was not all it was cracked up to be.

      Delete
  11. Wasn't the participation so much more fulfilling than simply being 'the consumer of' as is the case for so many events we are invited to shell out for these days? Homemade never seems good enough any more competing with laser shows and sound shows and all the glitz and faux glamour of our computer age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree entirely. I'm cynical about how today we watch rather than do. And pay for the privilege. Going for a bike ride beats watching a cycle race any day for me.

      Delete
  12. People still participate in sports teams, play music in village bands, organise and work at (village) fêtes and carnivals and the like, but many visitors have become more demanding. It appears that one has to provide food and drink almost on a professional level even though all the work is done by volunteers who do not work in hospitality in their everyday lives. Still, especially since I have become involved with O.K. more than 8 years ago, I have seen (and participated in) a lot of such things going on at the village. The kids still seem to enjoy it greatly, and so do most of the adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that too. There are still a lot of doers and participators, and for me that has always been the interest rather than being a spectator. I would rather play music badly than only ever watch and listen. However, there seem to be many who would rather avoid the effort and perseverance these things demand. Taking a ride to the top of a mountain instead of walking up one is another example.

      Delete
  13. Wow, Tasker, I have a lot to read on your new blog - very interesting!

    Village life in Bavaria now is too part of spending my time (two weeks ago I watched the first "Cow Bingo" of my life - to late to place a bet :-) , and I felt as if I was in a version of "Jeeves and Wooster".
    Berlin presents another sort of carnival - big theatre by our politicians, and I still don't know whether to weep or laugh at that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never played cow bingo and had to look it up. Oh dear!
      It's the same blog, but with a slightly changed address - the previous one was a custom address, and the whole thing would have become inaccessible when the subscription expires.
      We've got our own new carnival in the UK as I'm sure you've heard.

      Delete
  14. My son took my daughter to a little magic show put on by a clown. He promised to make something disappear. "Where did it go? It's gone!" he told the children in the crowd. My grandaughter piped up: "No it isn't! You put it behind your ear!"

    Perhaps it was all illusion and smoke and mirrors, but there are a lot of people who want to believe that once upon a time, life was easier, people were happier, and life was better. I know that I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, but I think you get what I'm saying, which is that there have always been dreadful things to cope with. I think religion used to help people a lot, Church every Sunday, but we all seem to prefer to go shopping now.

      Delete
    2. I do understand what you were saying. It is all an illusion. If we look, we will see quite a bit of ugliness behind all that sweetness and light. But...I will always want to believe that life could be simple and that it could be sweet, so I tend not to look too closely. There are a lot of us who want to believe it.

      Delete
  15. The village in the Yorkshire Dales where my parents used to live still continues with the same sort of community events that you describe. It is a farming community with roots and traditions going back over centuries. Having recently moved to a busy town from a small hamlet I am very aware of how differently people behave, none of the popping in and out, the 'how are you' that I have been used to! I'm of an age to be tending towards the nostalgic! There is a price to pay whether you stay in a small community or whether you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that these traditions continue in a few places. Many are smaller now. I think of the Whit Monday walks where I lived, when there would be perhaps around 15 floats from Sunday Schools, portraying a biblical scene, each accompanied by as many as 50 children, either walking or riding on the backs of slow-moving lorries. Health and Safety would have apoplexy now. It ended many years ago.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.