Google Analytics

Thursday 5 September 2024

Teenage Part-Time Jobs

Did you have a part-time job while at school, such as a newspaper round or in a shop? 

My wife had both. She took over her brother’s paper round at 14, and was so reliable they promoted her to the slightly better-paid job of ‘marking up’. That meant being in at 6 a.m., 7 days a week, to unpack the newspapers and magazines from the suppliers, and sort them into bundles by house number and paper round. There were 8 rounds of about 30 houses each. It was complicated by the weekly and monthly magazines: The Radio Times, The TV Times, the local weekly newspaper, Weekend, Woman’s Own, The People’s Friend, The Lady, Jackie, Amateur Photographer, The Beano, and more. The Sunday papers with their multiple sections and colour supplements were particularly heavy and troublesome. At least it was warm in the newspaper shed. She did it for about three years. I doubt I could have stuck it at all. It was hard enough getting out of bed in time for school. 

Later, in the sixth form, she had a Saturday job in a book shop, sorting and tidying shelves, serving customers and dealing with orders, which included checking the microfiche for books in print and available. That’s what happens to the able and competent. They get more responsibility. 

I never had a regular job, but sometimes stood in for friends when they were away. Two I remember especially.  

A similar off-licence to where I worked

One was my friend Gilbert’s Saturday morning job at an off-licence. The owner was getting on a bit, and could no longer lift and move the heavy beer crates. The shop was at the end of a terrace on the corner of a side-street, with a step up to the front door, and a secure brick store for stock at the rear. 

You loaded the crates of empty bottles inside the shop on to a two-wheeled sack barrow (hand truck) and wheeled then down the step and along the sides street to the stock shed. There were usually around 10 crates of empties because in those days glass bottles carried refundable deposits of a few pence each. 

Then, the owner identified what he needed to re-stock the shop. 

“I’ll have two of these and these, and three of those, and two of those, and one of those,” he would say, pointing at crates of Hull Brewery bitter, Magnet pale ale, Carlsberg lager, Bass stout, and so on. You stacked them ready to wheel round to the shop, and took them load by load along the side street. 

That was tricky. The full bottles were heavy, and the pavement bumpy and uneven. If you picked the wrong path you would come to a dead stop, and it was difficult to get moving again. Gilbert did it for so long, he reckoned he could draw every slab and crack from memory. 

Once you reached the front, you wheeled the crates up the step into the shop, and re-loaded with more crates of empties to return to the store. 

“Never drink anything left in the bottles,” the owner repeatedly warned. “You don’t know what it is. People spit and pee in them.”

If you were trusted, you were asked to take the week’s takings to the bank on your bike. The bank notes, cash, cheques, and paying-in slips were all in a leather pouch, which you handed to the bank clerk to open and process, and then returned with the completed paying-in book. Very easy, but it did strike me I was riding through town with hundreds of pounds in my pocket: perhaps the equivalent of up to £10,000 today. 

“Don’t get nobbled, will you,” the owner always said when you set off. 

Front Page and Articles in The Sheffield GreenUn of 29th August 1970

The other memorable job was after I had learnt to drive. Dudule (his dad was French) did it on his motorbike, and I was one of the few who could help out by borrowing my parents’ car. It involved collecting newspapers from the railway station on a Saturday evening, and delivering them to shops in the villages of Old Goole, Swinefleet, Reedness, and Whitgift, which was 6 miles away. 

Each Saturday evening the presses of the Hull Daily Mail printed a sports newspaper known as “The Green 'Un”, listing the day’s football and racing results with local match reports. Much of it consisted of pre-prepared articles, but for the rest, considering that games did not finish until nearly 5 o'clock, it seemed incredible they could compile and print a newspaper, and have it on the train to arrive 25 miles away by 7. The wholesaler at the station divided the papers into labelled bundles, and you were on your way. I enjoyed that job the few times I stood in. 

However, our school did not approve of part-time work. You could just about get away with a Saturday job so long as you were not daft enough to get a detention, or be selected for one of the sports teams. Jobs during the week were another matter.

One lad, whose dad had a butcher’s shop, was out after school every day delivering meat on the butcher’s bike (basket on front, metal sign hanging from crossbar). He had some amusing stories, such as falling off and spilling meat across the road. He simply picked it up, wrapped it up again, and delivered it as if nothing was wrong.  

It had to end when he was spotted delivering meat in his school uniform, and the traditionalist, old-school headmaster, who had been there since 1936, asked to see his dad. It was inappropriate for a Grammar School boy to be engaged in such activities after school, he told him. It would affect his homework, and if he wanted to deliver meat he should leave so his place could go to someone who would make more of the opportunities. 

What head teacher would dare say such a thing now? And as for newspaper rounds, microfishe, deposits on bottles, cracked and uneven pavements, cash takings and paying-in slips, Green 'Uns, butchers’ bikes, meat deliveries, ... all disappeared, or just about. And it barely scratches the surface. There were also holiday jobs: I worked in a canning factory and my brother was a gardener at the cemetery in which he now lies. They did things differently then. England in the 1960s.

36 comments:

  1. That was quite an interesting read. I remember your canning factory tale(s?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't actually a teenager when I did the canning factory jobs because it was just before I became a mature student, but a lot of the others there were still at school. Thanks for finding it interesting.

      Delete
  2. I so envied town kids the opportunities they had for part time work with an income. We worked on the farm - it's what you did. I got paid (good money too) for being shed hand/roustabout when the shearers arrived. That was about two weeks a year and didnt always coincide with school holidays so couldn't be relied on as work. Holiday jobs were either more farming, or fruit picking and packing. Fortunately i might have shared a characteristic or two with you wife and would be kept on after manual picking finished to do maintenance and operate machines for crops being mechanically harvested. You are do right about the things that have disappeared but human ingenuity could reinvent them if we ever found ourselves needing to (even rough pavements😜).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of children from farms where I grew up, and their some of their parents had different priorities. I know of kids not being allowed to take up Grammar School places because they were going to leave at 15 and work on the farm, and others who left early at that age. I imagine these parents thought that farming would continue for ever.

      Delete
  3. All those Engish ales. I would be like a kid in a sweet shop. You remind me of George Orwell with your writing style. Very Road To Wigan Pier. Great nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. If only. I'm not nostalgic in the sense of longing for those days to return. The football tables are interesting: Wigan Athletic in the Northern Premier League, yet to be admitted to the Football League and rise to the top.

      Delete
  4. I worked at home and had tasks to do on the farm so never got an outside job although I asked mum if I could get shop work on a Saturday in the city as this is what a lot of my school-friends were doing at 14. She said a resounding no. We got paid for the farm work and it was usually a threepenny bit and a sixpence which was the best rate at harvest time and other times it was just the threepenny bit. It was put in a wage envelope and given as earned. If you didn't do the work you got nothing. We had no such thing as pocket-money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As replied to Tigger's Mum above, I thought many of the children from farms got a raw deal. My cousin wanted little to do with it once he grew up. I did get pocket money, but not much. I know one lad whose mum used to give him 2/3¾ and tell him not to spend it on cigarettes. It was the price of 10 Embassy.

      Delete
  5. I worked as the part-time dental assistant to the local dentist, after school for a couple of hours and Saturday mornings. He trained me on the job to do everything the full-time dental assistant did. The only thing I was not allowed to do (since I was unlicenses) was to work directly on patients by myself (i.e. clean teeth).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking in peoples' mouths all day is something I could never have done, no matter how well-paid. Yuk!

      Delete
  6. Part-time work where I grew up in Kent consisted of orchard and farm work and factory work in canning factories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot worked at our local canning factory over the summer when needed to process peas and strawberries. It was well-paid, with lots of overtime - time and a half except on Sunday when it was double.

      Delete
  7. Every little bit of information flows from you as to your early life, totally impressed. I left school at 15 years old and clipped and looked after poodles out in the country. Then I went on to office work, remember temping at Clarnicos the sweet people, Also drawing or tracing machinery in Walthamstow until I eventually went to work in the family business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a diverse range of experience. Poodle clipping sounds fun, but perhaps like everything else, it will become tedious once you can do it and have little more to learn.

      Delete
  8. This is such interesting reading. In my English youth, girls were not hired for newspaper delivery, and if you'd be caught later doing a job after school, you'd be expelled from my posh high school. My first job was as a teen nanny for a summer at the other end of the country -- a break from home and no chance of being caught!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grammar Schools aspired to be like the private ones, so you can see where our headmaster was coming from. I think now that they were socially divisive, and I lost several friends when I got in. But on the other hand it did allow you into jobs that would otherwise have been closed.

      Delete
  9. Interesting comments about grammar schools, I attended one in Sussex and had a Saturday morning job gardening for one of the teachers there so no discrimination about outside school jobs. Paper rounds or Saturday shop jobs (usually newsagents) were the norm for most of my contemporaries, I also did farm work at harvest time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to have depended on the school. When the new headmaster came many of the rules were relaxed, such as sixth formers no longer having to wear school uniform and caps. Some sixth form girls babysitted for teachers, although it was hush hush to avoid accusations of preference.

      Delete
  10. We farmed so I was like a farm hand. I stayed out of school to help with harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missing school at busy farming times also happened here in farming families.

      Delete
  11. This was a young adult job, in my early twenties. I delivered the local paper in bundles to the boys who had paper routes, and collected the funds due each week. Being a poor part of town, and young boys, often the funds were not paid. The newspaper expected us to have parents sign cognovit notes for seriously overdue amounts. I quit over that; I would not ask these poor people to sign their furniture or wages away. Much later I realized with a smile, everyone should have some newspaper job in their background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I did not have a regular job, I'm glad I helped with others because the experience is invaluable.

      Delete
  12. Like Andrew, I remember you having posted about your job at the canning factory.
    Refundable deposits for glass bottles? We still have that system, and it extends to many plastic bottles, too. A good way to reduce waste and have people bring their empty bottles back to the shop instead of throwing them away.
    A whole shadow industry exists in this country, of poor(ish) people browsing train stations, parks and other public places for discarded bottles that they can collect and take to a shop for refunding. They have clearly defined territories, and woe if one of them strays to a rubbish bin that is not on his or her territory. Some folks reportedly make hundreds of euros that way every month.

    I never had a proper after-school job, I was way too lazy. What you wife did as a teenager, getting up so early 7 days a week - no way would I have been able to do that! My sister and I got very little pocket money, and when we were about 14/15, it stopped almost completely. I cleaned at my grandparents' every Saturday morning, and my grandma gave me money for that. My sister took an evening/weekend job at a distributor of medication and medical supplies. She liked the work, it made her feel responsible and adult while I (younger by a year) was still pretty much a kid. The evenings and weekends were paid well, and for a while, she had more money than what was good for her, spending it stupidly on expensive cosmetics and drinking whiskey when we were out clubbing, while I usually stuck to my one glass of coca-cola or orange juice that came with the entrance fee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children used to look out for discarded bottles to take back for their deposits. The disappearance of that system here is another example of deregulation for the benefit of shops and manufacturers.
      It's not a good idea for schoolchildren to have too much money. Some grow up to be like Boris Johnson.

      Delete
  13. I did the paper route job for about 3 years, the papers had to be all delivered by 6 AM so I was up and at it very early.. I hated when we got a huge snowfall because our bundles of papers were often late and it made it iffy if I could get to school on time, but I always made it. I also set pins at the bowling alley, mostly for free games. After that I had jobs at a pharmacy and at a 5 and dime store, where I learned how to do estimates for stocktaking of small items like pencils etc. when I was married my husband and I bought a variety store and it was very successful. When our kids came along they started working sorting glass pop bottles into the proper crates when they were about 5 years old. They eventually started waiting on customers and were always paid the same wages as other kids we hired. My kids were envied by their friends because they could take candy any time they wanted. Working hard was good for them and we mostly knew where they were and what they were up to. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of varied experience. It shows you how the world works and how to do things. Many of today's children have no idea. There aren't really that many jobs for them.

      Delete
  14. A great read. It made me think of the various jobs I had when I was a schoolboy. Mrs Dunham's early morning service at the newspaper shop was quite remarkable. By the way, "The Green Un" was produced in Sheffield but in Hull the green Saturday sports paper was "The Sports Mail". For both, the swiftness of production and distribution was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was the Sports Mail but my grandfather still called it the Green 'Un, as they did everywhere, except where they had a Pink 'Un or a Buff 'Un. Some had circulations of 25,000 but it often depended on how well the local team were doing. The example shown must have been a good year in Hull, but they weren't promoted. Don Revie's Leeds at the top. Only 2 points for a win in those days.

      Delete
  15. I'm trying to imagine a time when it was considered unseemly for a schoolboy to have a job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The English class system. Before the war, entry to the school would have been by awarding of scholarships or paying fees. After, when the Grammar Schools were set up, they were state funded, but the many, including the old headmaster, thought they should be providing equivalent education to the private schools. Grammar Schools receive much more generous funding than schools for those who did not get in. It was social engineering to increase the size of the educated professional classes because the country needed more managers, engineers and the like. Delivering meat was thought beneath us.

      Delete
  16. It's interesting that the headmaster objected to a student having a job. I wonder if it was the nature of the job that offended him. What if the boy had a part-time job in a bank or a lawyer's office? The headmaster would probably have found that acceptable. (If it was even feasible in those days.)

    I worked in a McDonald's for a year when I was a senior in high school. I did pretty much everything -- cooked and rang up sales, cleaned up afterwards, swept the parking lot, you name it. I don't think middle-class teenagers work at McDonald's much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A part-time job in some kind of profession might have been more acceptable provided it did not interfere with the often large amount of homework we were given, if such a job had been available.
      Now, the majority of part-time work for children still at school is for ages 16-18 in the hospitality industry. My daughter served table in pubs and hotels. In the 60s and 70s there were few such roles because people ate out.

      Delete
  17. I didn't have a regular job as a teen (the why is too much to go into), but I did get to work a limited time job once helping a locally owned book store set up for business. As a book lover, it was a fun job.
    All of our kids worked as teens, in jobs where they had to deal with the public. Not only did they earn money, it taught them a lot about life and how others will treat those they consider "beneath them".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, you probably learn more about yourself from jobs dealing with people. I think my daughter certainly did working in pubs and hotels.
      I find you hard to read on Wordpress. I kept a mirror Wordpress copy of my blog for several years but eventually deleted it. I thought it too complicated for my needs and prefer the simplicity of Blogger. Now, with my reading difficulties, I really do find it hard going. So thanks for continuing to visit here.

      Delete
  18. I did for a bit have a p/t job making sandwiches at a shop very nearby my high school. It was nice, too, in that we could make ourselves a sandwich gratis for lunch while on shift. I can't recall how much the job paid...a few bucks an hour, I think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a good job, although possibly a lot of standing and bending. Do you have sandwiches now?

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but my condition is making this increasingly difficult. Some days I might not look here at all. Also please note that comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.