Google Analytics

Tuesday 21 November 2023

Full Circle?

The way we save our computer files seems to have come full-circle, as if we are back to forty or fifty years ago.

Clearing out more of my life’s debris reminded me of this. I had accumulated a collection of disks and tapes that are now little more than museum pieces. You once had to be so methodical in looking after your documents and images. But, before that, it was all done for you. An so it is now.

At first, with mainframe computers, systems managers made sure everything was safely backed-up. I learnt to program in a room full of teletypewriter terminals - the noise was deafening - that were connected to a computer centre somewhere else on the university campus. Once you had typed in your program and asked for it to be save, you could be reasonably sure it would be there ready the next time you logged in.

However, if you wanted to move programs or documents elsewhere, or if you had one of those new-fangled micro-computers (i.e. a PC), you had to transfer it on to magnetic takes or disks. The first PCs had no internal disks, nothing was saved automatically by an ‘app’, and there was no OneDrive or Google. The internet did not get going until around 1995.

I learnt the hard way using Tandy TRS80 computers. Everything had to be saved on C60 audio-cassettes, which were notoriously slow and unreliable. I lost hours of work more than once. It was a godsend when floppy disks came along.

Here are some of the storage media I used, now destined for the tip.  

8-inch floppy disks containing my Masters project, which was written in Pascal on an LSI-11 machine. UMIST insisted they had to be protected by special folders. 

The 8-inch disks look enormous next to the later 5¼ -inch and 3½-inch ‘hard’ floppy disks you may remember. 

This is a 6-inch cartridge take from a nineteen-eighties PDP11 Unix system, containing some of the work I did as a university research assistant.


Later, I used zip-disks which were a bit like thick floppy disks, but had greater capacity. Only a few home computers had them. 

 

Then, we all moved on to CD ROMS and DVD, and USB memory sticks and SD cards. I used a pair of memory sticks to transfer files from work-to-home and home-to-work. My first memory stick had a magnificent 256MB of space (that’s Megabytes not Gigabytes). 

How things have changed! Nowadays, some home computers have internet access only, and no disk drive or USB ports. Some have minimal internal storage. That is also the case if we work only on phones. It feels as if we are being pushed towards keeping everything on the ‘cloud’, like returning to the mainframe days.

Microsoft is removing the Windows video editor from our PCs (through Windows Updates) because they want us to use the online ‘ClipChamp’ editor. Google circulated an email saying they are deleting accounts inactive for more than two years. That could well include blogs. Andrew in Australia lost years of blog posts because of something unspecified he supposedly said. Next, they’ll be trying to charge us to store our stuff.

I don’t trust the b------s at all. I now have enormous amounts of material: family history research, my parents digitised photograph albums, our own photographs and colour slides, our own digital photographs, digitised videos from cine films, our own digital videos, ... and archived blog posts.

In all, it fills over 100 Gigabytes. I’ve backed it all up in duplicate on a pair of hard drives. I’m glad I learnt the discipline.

34 comments:

  1. You remind me that I should back up my stuff on an external hard drive. It could all so easily disappear as happened when Google decided to cease supporting a photo-mapping site to which I contributed called Panoramio. Mind you, I admit that a lot of the stuff that I have saved doesn't really need saving. I have sixteen years worth of e-mails in hotmail and only recently have I begun ruthless deletion sessions in order to free up space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email tends not to take up much space unless it contains images or large attachments. I still have work email back to about 1985! Last time I looked I wondered who most of the senders and receivers were.

      Delete
  2. Did you use to present Tomorrow's World? You are light years ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What on earth do you use, then? Brass rubbing?

      Delete
  3. I have some device (an external hard drive, is it called?) attached to my computer which supposedly backs everything up on a regular basis. I have no idea if it actually does or not. But I don't keep anything of importance on my computer. Even my photos are ephemera. Nice to look at occasionally, but not the centre of mu world or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could set up my hard drives to do that, but I'd rather have more control over it. I suppose some of us are digital hoarders.

      Delete
  4. We've come a very long way since the computer filled an entire room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Some of the old pictures of data centres are difficult to believe now.

      Delete
  5. The Cloud, OneDrive, and also two external hard drives. One very large (old) and one small (recent) seem to be my backups. Two things I cherish, photos and blog stored somewhere ;). But then my son, a computer nerd from an early age always had and messed around with computers - still does, but it pays nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also paid me very well once upon a time. It sounds like we would get on well talking technical gobbledygook for hours.

      Delete
  6. I have all my own records on my own back up except my blog. I'd hate to lose the blog (I've already lost one) and am going to start making a back up of the posts. Trouble everything is corruptible - an SD card with loads of photos has recently decided that it is corrupted and I can't retrieve the material. Sometime I can view it and sometimes it 'decides' to be blank.... I hate technology - can't live with it can't live without

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't trust SD cards. I usually write blog posts in Word and copy them to blogger to post, so I have all the Word versions.

      Delete
  7. I used those giant disks in the seventies for my computer art. One disk needed per image! Then known as a screen grab, I believe. 32k was the memory most of us without mainframe access had. It all seems comical now. But I don't worry about keeping anything, nothing vital on my computer anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One picture per disk! I don't know what their digital capacity was, perhaps just a few hundred k, but they are physically enormous - as big as a sheet of A4 paper.

      Delete
  8. I no longer bother about back ups. If it all goes up in a puff of smoke I am not sure I'll miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how well I remember all those devices! (Well, except the Unix cartridge -- I never used Unix.) I remember uploading games from cassette tapes onto our Atari game system in the early '80s. SO slow.

    Bravo for disciplining yourself to save everything. I have pretty much everything backed up too, in one way or another. Even if the Internet crashes I have backups, though my blog would be an XML file and thus not easily read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audio cassette really was awful, but it was all the early PCs had.
      I think you can read xml in Word, although it might not sace images. Presumably you have those on camera cards.

      Delete
  10. Floppy disks were what I first used when I started to work for a publisher of weekly newspapers. Just as you have described, other storage media followed, and I must have used them all at some stage.
    My current home computer was this year's birthday present to myself, after my former one (it still sits in a box in the cellar) had slowed down so much it really wasn't much fun anymore. It was well over 15 years old, I think.
    Anyway, my new one is just as you say, with almost no internal storage and no disk drive. It has, however, USB ports.
    As I earn my daily bread with data protection, I am not a fan of sending everything into the cloud. Of course both ways - local and cloud storage - have their pros and cons, but for me, a good old-fashioned folder structure created locally is very much my thing. I am, after all, a trained librarian, and among other things, you learn about systematically sorting information at Librarian School.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of us find it very satisfying to organise things. It is exercising a skill. You had to be so careful with computers and data in earlier days. Systems like Unix were unforgiving. It was so easy to type rm (remove) when you meant mv (move).

      Delete
  11. That's quite an interesting history of computing. Zip disks were such a step forward with as I recall 100mb of space compared to what was it for a floppy? Around 5mb I think. I can't remember if ours was built in or external. We may have had two as I think one failed with it making lots of clicking noises and no action.

    It's a pity I never backed up my blog, as I am very careful to backup photos using cloud and an external drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of us felt your heartbreak over the blog. It seemed so arbitrary. As mentioned in earlier response above, I write posts in Word and keep the Word docs.

      Delete
  12. I had an external hard drive up to my current computer. Wonder how I was talked out of that, except probably it was no longer supported.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something of real concern, that it may no longer be accessible like those 8-inch disks for which there may be no machine left anywhere in the world that can read them.

      Delete
  13. I need to figure out how to use a flash drive. (And as pathetic as that sounds, it's the truth...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get one. It is really easy. Essentially you plug it in to the USB opening on the computer (assuming there is one) an can then read and write on it like a folder. If that makes no sense then you need someone to show you.

      Delete
  14. Ooops - good to learn that un-used blogs (I have a few) will disappear.
    My son does copies of my cellphone on a stick, hope that it is enough.
    But I am angry because I feel blackmailed by Huawei, Google and Apple to buy more place for photos - and when I delete a lot, it doesn't change their threats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the google intention is to delete unused accounts, so if you have several blogs and still use one, then they will all remain. Who knows? Their email was not exactly clear.
      What you say about the service providers reinforces my views about them.

      Delete
  15. Speaking of technological gobbledegook, remember me? I'm the guy who knew what 65536 is. You haven't lived until you've created a 1460 operating system on paper tape. Or made binary patches using an 010.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could write a whole load of other stuff about how hard it once was getting information and data into a computer, which is different from the storage issues mentioned here. I only ever played with paper tape and punched cards, but worked as a user with systems that used these methods.

      Delete
  16. This post is making me feel nervous as I don't know anything about back-up. I'm hoping to be able to look back at my gardening blog with pleasure when my gardening days are over so will be very sad if it all disappears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will disappear as long as you use it, but the email that google sent round a couple of months ago was not all that clear to me. It seemed to suggest they were going to delete unused google accounts, and I imagine that could include blogs.

      Delete
  17. I worry that choice is being taken away, by the manufacturers.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that every time there is a new version, even an update, you get less. In an earlier version of Windows there was software called Windows Video Editor which had all kinds of features that have now been removed.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.