Google Analytics

Sunday 2 July 2023

Trump

New Month Old Post: first posted 12th November, 2016.

He was to be President of the United States, but across the North of England the word ‘trump’ remained an acceptable, almost polite substitute for the four letter word beginning with ‘f’ and ending with ‘t’ which to my mind is so coarse and common I can hardly bring myself to write it.

“Poo! Who’s trumped?” my mother would exclaim on walking into the room where my brother and I were playing. We might say that too, but if either of us had used the f-synonym we would have had our faces slapped as hard as if we had used that other f-word; not that we had ever heard either in those innocent times.

I was around eleven when I first heard the more common term for trumping. It came from an adult. We were on holiday near Southampton and had driven to London airport (not yet called Heathrow) to wave my aunt and cousins off to Aden. We waited inside a high glass-walled enclosure for their BOAC Britannia to take to the air, sheltered from the roar of the engines but not from the acrid smell of the fuel. It was close and stuffy, and the kerosene hung around us mixing with the pong from the clothes of a family friend who had been sick on the train travelling down with my aunt. To make matters worse my brother periodically kept discharging his own contribution into the atmosphere. We used to eat meat in those days.

I was mortified when another aero-watcher, a middle aged man, turned and forcefully told me to stop farting. I had no idea what he meant. The embarrassment stemmed not from what I had been wrongly accused of but from the fact that a complete stranger had spoken to me.

On another early nineteen-sixties holiday we drove to Devon in a hired Hillman Minx. It was a long journey from Yorkshire in those pre-motorway days, and as dusk fell we were still miles from our lodgings. My brother and I lay on the back seat comatose with headaches, trumping.

“Good God! It smells as if somebody’s babbered themselves,” complained Mum. I knew it was bad because she rarely blasphemed.

“Can we have a drink of water?”

“No. You’ll be widdling and piddling all the way. You’ll have pickled yersel’s before we get there.”

“I could do with a jimmy riddle myself,” said Dad from the driving seat.

Like most people from the South, my wife had never come across this usage of the word ‘trump’, but she soon picked it up, as of course have our children. It seems more humorous than offensive.

I am convinced it used to appear in a dictionary we had at Junior School. We used to look it up and giggle. “Trump”, it read, “a small explosion between the legs.” Perhaps I am mistaken because I cannot find it anywhere now. I am told, however, that the Oxford English has the definition: “to break wind audibly (slang or vulgar).”

But as for “President Trump”, to me it sounds more of a command than a title of high status.

22 comments:

  1. High status he certainly is not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha yes. We used trump instead of fart as it was deemed a less offensive word. I couldn't suppress a giggle when I first encountered the name of the Presidential contender.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking here. 'To break wind' a 'wind bag' As for tRump!!! Only just noticed why people spell it that way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait until he's disappeared from the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a puff of wind leaving behind a bad smell.

      Delete
  5. The word fart doesn't trouble me, it is a good old English word. I looked it up in a battered old Collins Gem dictionary and it says fart - Taboo - noun. emission of wind from the anus. Ithink I shal use that in future. "Is that an emission of wind from your anus?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard the word, but thinking of how my father called my younger brother Bugle Bum leads me to think trumpet, shortened to trump.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trump was something to do with Bridge or Whist, not that I played those card games but it must have been spoken in 'polite circles'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, as in "What are trumps?" Elephants do it too. I commented before that if Nellie The Elephant had not campaigned for him he might not have been elected. "Trump. Trump. Trump."

      Delete
  8. The command to #45 would require a comma - President, Trump! and there would follow a resounding foghorn blast followed swiftly by a rotting compost stench - as if from the arse of a fattened Texas Longhorn en route to the abattoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a command to issue, except when he was meeting Putin.

      Delete
  9. Well, Tasker, your mother would slap my face bloody if she heard my mouth during that period of time. I used the f word quite a lot and it did not end with t. I know it's vulgar, but I do hate that man and how people still support him is beyond any reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't know either F-word as children. They were very different times.

      Delete
  10. When Trump hit the political scene (much to our dismay), we over in these parts learned of the other meaning of that word. Tee-hee and har-har.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found it hard to believe it could be someone's name.

      Delete
  11. Maybe I've misunderstood what you were saying, but 'jimmy riddle' isn't another way of saying 'trump', it's a wee-wee. (Rhyming slang for 'piddle'.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely correct. I was remembering a snatch of conversation that moved on from trumping to widdling and piddlind, which we other euthemisms in common use.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.