Google Analytics

Thursday 1 August 2024

The R100

New Month Old Post: first posted 10th July 2016.

R100 leaving shed at Howden for last time in December 1929

In his autobiography, Slide Rule, the author Nevil Shute (1899-1960), a man of his time with attitudes to match, remembered working as an engineer on the R100 airship during its construction at Howden in Yorkshire in the nineteen-twenties. Much of the workforce consisted of local lads and girls trained to carry out riveting and other tasks high up in the ribs and spines of the airship skeleton. Of them he writes:
The lads were what one would expect, straight from the plough, but the girls were an eye-opener. They were brutish and uncouth, filthy in appearance and in habits ... these girls straight off the farms were the lowest types that I have ever seen in England, and incredibly foul-mouthed ... we had to employ a welfare worker to look after them because promiscuous intercourse was going on merrily in every dark corner ... as the job approached completion ... we were able to get rid of the most jungly types. 
Jungly types? That is my maternal grandma you are talking about, Nevil, and her friends and cousins. They never had the chance to be privately educated and scrape through Oxford with a bad degree. While your evenings and weekends were spent dancing, playing badminton, flying aeroplanes and writing novels, they were toiling away tending crops and animals from their damp and dingy dwellings. Better check your privilege. 

And, how come the lads were “salt-of-the-earth, vital rustic types”, while their sisters were “jungly beyond vulgarity”? How was it different from when you were in the army? 
The language of the men was no novelty to me, of course, and I could out-swear most of them, but their attitude to women was shocking... 
Workers at Howden, high up in the ribs and spines of the R100 skeleton.

Both my parents had memories of the R100. My mother’s mother worked there for a short time, and had a small, airship-shaped piece of duralumin silver metal, around an inch and a half long (4cm) and flat on one side. It was from a batch of airship brooches unfinished when they ran out of metal. She gave me it as a toy and it became an imaginary submarine. 

My dad remembered going to see the R100 in its construction shed at Howden. His dad borrowed the Model T van from work to drive there across the newly opened Boothferry Bridge. He said that the river was swollen by floodwater. Looking up in the shed, the airship was so big my dad could not see it. At 700 feet long (220m) and 130 feet in diameter (40m), it was around the size of two rows of twenty-five terraced houses with front gardens and a road between. He thought he was looking up at the roof.

The R100 in its construction shed at Howden
with one of the control gondolas hanging from the airship
which my dad thought was the roof.

The R100 squeezed out of its shed and left for Cardington in Bedfordshire in December, 1929. It was one of two airships built in competition to explore the possibility of commercial flights to Canada, India, and Australia, then still too far for aeroplanes to carry heavy loads. The other was the R101 built at Cardington. 

No more large airships were built in Britain. The R100, the better of the two, made a successful flight to Canada and back in 1930, crossing the Atlantic in three days. Rather than admit defeat, the R101 team attempted a premature flight to India, but the airship hit the ground and caught fire in France in October, 1930, with the loss of 48 lives. The airship project was abandoned and the R100 broken up for scrap. Large airships were built later in other countries, such as the Hindenburg in Germany, but these also ended in disaster. They were filled with hydrogen. 

The R100 over Montreal, August, 1930.

24 comments:

  1. These great airships became an important part of the second world war. They accompanied convoys of merchant and war ships crossing the Atlantic. My father was an engineer at Goodyear Aircraft in Akron, Ohio, and because it was a "reserved", essential occupation, he was not able to return to the army to fight. So he spent the war facilitating electrical systems for the blimps from Goodyear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting. I did not know that but have now found it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Navy_airships_during_World_War_II
      It appears they used them mainly in US coastal waters, and very sensibly used helium instead of hydrogen.

      Delete
    2. These blimps crossed the Atlantic with convoys, in search of German submarines. They guarded the D-Day landings.

      Delete
    3. Wikipedia is a bit misleading.

      Delete
    4. Hi Joanne,
      I am surprised that airships were used in WW2. I assumed they were slow moving. Have I got that wrong?

      Delete
    5. I think the ones Joanne refers to were small flexible bodies helium craft. She can clarify. The R100 top speed was around 75 mph.

      Delete
  2. Wow. That's a cool story, Joanne!

    It is interesting how women always pay a heavier toll for sex. "Promiscuous intercourse merrily happening in every corner," he says. I'm sure that this indicates for every jungly vulgar woman there was a jungly vulgar man. Funny how he doesn't mention that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Funny how he's happy to brag he could out-swear the men in the forces. Knowing my grandma's family, he had no chance.

      Delete
  3. Righteous indignation for your relatives Tasker and so it should be. What woman hasn't thought it takes two to tango but the language used against women is wicked. Shute was but a man in his time - bigoted idiot.
    Those airships were wonderful, though completely dangerous. Whoever designed them was taking a big fat risk with the safety of passengers'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Shute was a snob. I can imagine what the local people thought of him and his colleague Barnes Wallis.
      See Joanne's comment about helium airships above.

      Delete
  4. Whoever would have thought it? A huge balloon full of hydrogen...catching fire? Well I never.
    I suppose I would have been one of those jungly types if I was around back then, given my family's provenance. By 'eck...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I have said before on my blog, the graffiti in women's toilets even today is the the grittiest of all and can shock many a man. So I am with Shute here, be it of his time or not, men still get easily shocked when they find that women can be as colourful in thought and language as men, and more. I don't believe men accept it anymore now than they did in Shute's time. Misogynism is still rife even on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have loved my grandma and her relatives. Some of the things they said, even when children were present, were unrepeatable.

      Delete
  6. Men can be men, but women must be ladies - or slatterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not when you come from my part of the world. Shute was probably exaggerating, but basically right. But he was a privileged, hypocritical snob.

      Delete
  7. I suspect that the reason Nevil Shute lambasted the East Riding farm girls is because none of them would take him into those dark corners for merry frolics. "Sling thee 'ook Nev! Ah'd raither av a slice o bread wi a bit o drippin' slathered on't!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they had more sense and better-looking more vigorous East Riding farm boys to capture their attention.

      Delete
  8. So appreciated! I had never heard of the British airships and this was a wonderful introduction to them on so many levels. Much respect to your farming forebearers. Aloha from Honolulu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling in. I think there had been smaller airships, too, but the R100 and R101 were massive, intended to carry large loads across the world quicker than ships but cheaper than by air. Good idea, but not with hydrogen.

      Delete
  9. Interesting! This is news to me. I never knew Britain had any kind of airship program, and never knew it also ended in disaster. Nevil's attitude was probably common enough among educated British men back in the day -- not that I'm excusing it. It IS interesting how he takes such a dim view of the women while the men were "salt of the earth."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misogyny.
      I doubt you are alone, including those who live here. And most now think of airships as small inflatables. As you can see, this was massive with a rigid metal frame.

      Delete
  10. Interesting. Like Steve, I didn't even know we had an airship programme.
    As for Nevil Shute, they were different times. I don't get upset by it all. I just find it interesting. I daresay in a century, our attitudes will be regarded as retrograde and shocking. Don't forget attitudes have shifted so much in just the last few decades - nevermind being born a century ago. My granny and grandad were brought up in a time when women were not allowed unoccupied in pubs. And in only a few decades, it was quite common for a certain type of langauge about gays etc.
    Take care
    Liam. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liam, I am old enough to remember many of those things.
      I'm not upset by Shute's attitude, but a bit irritated that he singles out my home area, and that he seems to have drifted into a good career because of his background. He got a 3rd class degree. He was, of course, a very successful author, and very readable. The phrase "jungly beyond vulgarity" is rather good.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but my condition is making this increasingly difficult. Some days I might not look here at all. Also please note that comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.