Google Analytics

Thursday 14 March 2024

Follow The Moon

A few weeks ago, Jabblog wrote a post about Lyle’s Golden Syrup, which, by the ways and wanders of the mind in the night, took me to a party game. 

I was about six or seven, and it was my birthday. Mum invited a few friends round. I fancy there was Dennis and Johnny from the next street, maybe Jack the neat writer, and Geoffrey Bullard, not yet the monster he became. Girls? I don’t know. Maybe my second-cousin, Linda, and her funny friend, Margaret. I liked them. We were all in the same class at school. I can’t really remember. The more you try, the more you make up. 

I imagine we ran around in the garden for a while, and had tea. It would have been treacle on bread or treacle sandwiches (our name for Lyle’s Golden Syrup), or possibly honey. We often had that for our tea. Some people used to have condensed milk sandwiches, but I never liked the way it soaked into the bread and seeped out at the edges. For pudding, it would have been Rowntree’s Jelly and tinned fruit, with Carnation cream (which is what we called evaporated milk).  And fizzy Tizer or Vimto to drink. Such was the nineteen-fifties diet. The school dentist was always busy.  

Even now, I have honey on toast for tea when lazy, and Carnation “Cream” on tinned pears or apricots is luxury. Everyone here complains it is too sweet, so I have to have the whole tin myself. I don’t have treacle now, but the empty metal tins are great for all those bits and pieces you don’t know where to put: bath plugs, light pulls, door stops, picture hooks. Shame they risk disappearing in a squeezy plastic rebranding after 150 years unchanged. “... consumers need to see brands moving with the times and meeting their current needs. Our fresh, contemporary design brings Lyle’s into the modern day, appealing to the everyday British household while still feeling nostalgic and authentically Lyle’s,” said the brand director. “Drivel, bollocks, and bullshit,” said I. 

As regards the party, I have only one clear memory. Dad said we would play a game called “Follow The Moon”, but would say no more about it. The time came, and we waited outside the front room, with Mum and Dad inside, the door closed, and the curtains drawn. We were called in one by one.

The first went in, and after a short time cried “Aarrgh!” Then the next went in to join them, and made the same sound while the first person laughed. The third went in and reacted in the same way, causing the first two to laugh, and so it continued. 

I was last because it was my birthday. There was a sheet hanging vertically in the darkened room, with a circle of torchlight shining through. That was the moon. I had to keep my nose as close to the moon for as long as I could, while it moved around. It went up and down, and side to side, then faster in a circle, and, as both the moon and my nose reached the top of the sheet, a soggy warm wet sponge full of water came over from the other side and dunked me on the head. The others all roared with laughter.

36 comments:

  1. Your dad was very inventive... and possibly a bit of a sadist???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the milk jellies that old ladies in Lancashire use to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jelly with milk instead of water - not nice. Made with a tin of fruit set in the jelly, including the juice - great.

      Delete
    2. Yes instead of water. Carnation condensed milk perhaps?

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a bit of a weird game to play with a 6 or 7 year old. However, you are a bit different oop north. I still have evaporated milk with tinned fruit. It was always just called Carnation in our house. Carnation did also make a Carnation Cream as well as evaporated milk. All I remember about it was that my grandmother sometimes used to bring it for us and it was very white and we didn't really like it and mum was always cross when grandma brought it. It has now been discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would probably get put on a register for a game like that now, but it was all very innocent. I don't remember Carnation cream, only the evaporated and the condensed milk. The evap. is yummy on tinned fruit except pineapple and oranges which curdle it.

      Delete
  4. Tinned fruit and evaporated milk - what a treat. Follow the moon sounds fun, so long as you're the dumper and not the dumpee. Happy memories:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you've just put it on your shopping list.
      I imagine I felt cheated going last, not seeing anyone else get a soaking. I should at least have been allowed to do it to my mum and dad.

      Delete
  5. Was your father some kind of sadist? Mind you, it seems your mother was involved too! Amazing that you turned out to be such a jolly, well-balanced grown-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The treacle through your letter box was nothing to do with me.

      Delete
  6. What shocking physical child abuse and humiliation. However, very amusing.
    We always had a rusting tin of golden syrup and one of treacle in the kitchen cupboards of my childhood but I never remember them being used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think because they were so sugary, they absorbed a lot of moisture from the atmosphere if you had them too long.

      Delete
  7. As a child my exposure to Carnation was at the homes of aunts and uncles who lived on farms and used Carnation in their coffee, to my father's dismay. He used cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having it with coffee would spoil the Carnation. I would rather have a spoonful on its own.

      Delete
  8. Dear Tasker, in my Bavarian kitchen stands a very beautiful tin of Lyle's Black Treacle - filled, but the design of the tin looks terrifically old-fashioned, with a lion in the middle. Love it!
    The game you described sounds fun - though I will not try it on my grandchildren triplets. But if in a few years they will invite me to a play of "Follow the Moon" I will be warned! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The design has not been changed for around 150 years until now, when a stylised lion is being introduced. As far as I can make out, this is only on the new squeezy plastic pots, and the metal tins are also being kept for now. But from the marketing drivel, you can see the way things are going.
      If you look closely, you can see it is a dead lion with a bees nest in it. From the bible story of Samson and the lion.

      Delete
  9. So much of what you describe seems so familiar to me (except for the moon game of course). Life was a lot more simple then, but we still had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all played together rather than sitting looking at phones. There seem to be no references to the moon game online. I wonder as JayCee suggests whether my dad invented it.

      Delete
  10. Carnation was something I had to encounter first in adulthood - and didn't enjoy it. In NZ our sweetened condensed milk was branded 'Highlander' (with picture of a kilted, feather bonneted, pipe major on it - less 'Highlander' I could hardly imagine) - but it was definitely one to sneak spoonfuls from if a tin was found 'languishing' in the fridge. My grandmother used it as the basis of her salad cream (and in her famous shortbread). I believe you could boil up an unopened tin to make caramel but mother would never let us be so 'wasteful'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would work in shortbread but in salad cream it would surely be awful. Carnation is probably something you need to have acquired a taste for early on. It is very sweet.

      Delete
  11. Hardly surprising (having grown up at a different time and in a different country), I am not familiar with any of the food and drink you mention here, apart from having come across it every now and then in a book.

    The party game sounds... fun, if one likes that kind of thing. I know that I would have been VERY offended and really cross with my parents if they had done that to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we just accepted these kinds of pranks as part of life.

      Delete
  12. Here we only used evaporated milk for candy making or baking. I have never even heard of follow the moon. Suddenly I feel quite shortchanged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are few, if any, references to it online.

      Delete
  13. Ps: what kind of monster did Geoffrey Bullard turn into?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He appears several times in other posts.

      Delete
    2. Lol - I am not the anon above but I had the same question. Was GB some infamous murderer or sex offender? Google (which helpfully offered results for Jeffrey as well as Geoffrey) drew a blank on that. Only post I could find was the one about his bastardry in the cubs. Is there more?

      PS: times have certainly changed re teasing/practical jokes like this game. As it relies on surprise, it wouldn't work if generally known. If your father did not invent it himself maybe it was played on him by his father.

      Delete
    3. GB was every schoolboy's nightmare. Search for 'Bullard' in the box just top left above the banner and about 5 posts come up. This search box is present in all blogs unless the owner has removed it: a useful feature.

      Delete
    4. I thought I had tried that already to no avail but obviously I hadn't tried it properly.

      Delete
  14. Thinking of party games when mine were young. There was a mummifying game, you got wrapped up in loo paper. A tray full of bits and bobs, for which you were blindfolded and then told to name the objects. Then there was bowls full of yucky stuff, again blindfolded and you had to put your hand in them. Such games have vanished, probably for the good, for your moon game was slightly malicious.
    As for Golden Syrup, the tin was beautiful very tempting for a child but the syrup was too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could invent a game in which victims get covered head to foot in golden syrup.

      Delete
  15. Follow the Moon was a game we never played, (un)fortunately. Pin the Tail on the Donkey was about it for us kids. Less wet is was, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never played Pin TTOTD but it sounds a bit dangerous - those sharp pins!

      Delete
  16. Good grief, what a diet - have you got any teeth left?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma also had a sweet shop! Thank goodness for crowns.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.