Google Analytics

Thursday 8 February 2024

Snowing Like Buggery

Heavy snow was forecast today, with a weather warning for our part of the Pennines, but it was nothing compared to how things used to be.

The guinea pigs snowbound in their hutch at the end of the garden, 2013

Wednesday, 25th January, 1995. It started to snow at half past four in the afternoon, much earlier than forecast, and much more heavily. I was at work at the university, feet on desk, on the phone to someone in Newcastle. Big heavy flakes, like dinner plates some would say, reflected the office light back in through the window. I should have got out straight away. When I did, it was chaos in the car park. Any later and I would have had to spend the night in the sports hall. 

All over Yorkshire, people were trapped overnight at work, on trains, in churches and town halls, and in cars on the M62. Six people died trying to walk home. The audience at the West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds were forced to stay the night. They had been to see ‘The Winter Guest’, a play about a community cut-off during a blizzard. Realism at its utmost.

My wife, J, was six months pregnant, her last week at work before maternity leave. She worked seventeen miles away. How was she coping? No mobile phones in those days.

It took me two hours to do three miles. The traffic inched forward with longer and longer standstills. The road then steepened and the next few hundred yards took another hour. I turned round and went back to a pub car park, had a whisky and some crisps, and started to walk home.  

I crunched my way through the countryside under crystal-clear stars, along the middle of a now silent road. There were a few other walkers, all cheery and excitable, and a lot of abandoned cars. Where was J? Was she back already? There had been no answer when I phoned from the pub.

The house was in darkness. No messages. I waited up for a time. It seemed best to get some sleep, so I went to bed.

I was awoken by her scathing voice. Her car was outside in the middle of the street, deep tracks through pristine snow. It’s an interesting experience, shovelling two feet of snow off your drive at three in the morning.

It had taken her nine hours to get home. Apart from stopping for petrol and a bar of chocolate, she had simply kept going. She knew she couldn’t get out and walk. On getting stuck, she just went backwards and forwards wiggling the wheels until free. She was rather pleased with herself, the only car still on the road.

The snow melted quickly and we were able to rescue my car the following afternoon. 

Early the following week, it happened again. In no way was the university management going to be caught napping again.

This time I was helping to invigilate an exam for a hundred and fifty students. We were in a windowless, sports hall half a mile from the main campus. I had accompanied a student to the toilet (fortunately, they were still capable of removing and replacing their own pants in those days) when someone came to tell us we had an urgent phone call. Gary, one of the other invigilators, went to take it.

“Evidently it’s snowing like buggery* outside,” he whispered to us. “The examinations office say the university is about to be closed and we should all piss off home quick” (don’t ever think that university professors are urbane and well-spoken all the time).

I wasn’t too happy. It meant we would need to set another exam, and the students would have to prepare for it and retake at a later date. We whispered between ourselves and decided to tell the students how things stood. Gary made an eloquent announcement offering them the opportunity to leave early. None did.

Afterwards, we were supposed to be collected along with the examination scripts by university transport, but none came. We had to struggle back on foot. The university was locked up and abandoned. Even the security staff had gone home. We could not get into our offices. We walked to the car park and put the scripts in my car. I began the drive home.  

If anything, it was worse than the first time. The traffic was even slower and more halting, and I could see I was going to get stuck again. I had the bright idea of diverting by one of the back roads. Wrong decision!

Half way home there is a steep, down and up dip. I slid to the bottom and that was it. Car stuck in the middle of nowhere, boot full of students’ examination scripts. It was going to be hard enough to walk the rest of the way without having to carry the scripts as well. So, I abandoned them. I wasn’t going to spend all night in the car.

There it stayed for two days. What would have become of me had the car been broken into and scripts full of data flow diagrams and entity life histories scattered across the countryside? I suppose it would not have been the first time that examination papers have been lost. It must have happened at some time, somewhere. Or has it? 

Road near our house, 2013

 * a colourful expression I had not heard since childhood, meaning "a lot".

35 comments:

  1. Wow! What a story. I remember a bad storm when I was a kid. It snowed so hard that school was closed four days in a row. We lived on a dirt road, and the main roads were being given priority. We were home, safe and warm, and free from school. It was a great treat.

    Glad your story had happy endings all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not unpleasant to be snowed in at home safe and warm, looking out at the chaos outside. In the 2013 picture, we eventually rescued the guinea pigs and the they had to spend a week in the garage.

      Delete
  2. I am impressed by the detail of your memory, However, I would ask what flavour crisps did you purchase to accompany your whisky? Having been an examiner of English exam scripts for ten years or more, I recall an occasion when an examiner who was in a bad place mentally speaking, simply tossed all the scripts he had received by post into a canal. Lastly, I wonder what the "J" stands for... Is it Jacinda like Jacinda Ardern or perhaps Jordan like Katie Price?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy question. Plain. I only eat plain. The others are awful. If you wanted to catch me our you should have asked about the brand of whisky.
      Was that float for a pass and sink for a fail - the ducking school marking method? So, how did they sort that one out?
      There are a lot of names beginning with J.

      Delete
    2. Juniper? Jasmine?...I suspect that the candidates affected would have been awarded grades in line with the school's predictions. By the way was that snowy road Stone Wood Lane?

      Delete
    3. You could be right on all counts, or right on some and wrong on others, or entirely wrong.

      Delete
    4. On stage tonight it's Blinko - the blinking mystery man of West Yorkshire! Eee-by-gum!

      Delete
  3. What tales. At times I am pleased to live where I do and our frequent complaints about the weather seem rather trivial, if fires and floods are discounted.
    YP, it could be the same name as our State Premier. Haha, now you will have to look her up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll probably have to look up which state Melbourne is in first. I've looked her up.
      It has not blocked our roads since 2013, as in the pictures, but that seemed unusual by then, and nothing like 1995.

      Delete
    2. It is rumoured that Melbourne was frequently in Victoria.

      Delete
  4. Good to know in the end both you and your wife made it home safely!
    Was it as bad as 1995 when you took the 2013 pictures? That truly IS a lot of snow, more than we ever get here in my moderate part of south Germany. However, in the Black Forest people used to be cut off from civilsation for weeks on end, and everyone in those remote woodland farm houses made sure to have enough provisions to feed themselves and what animals they had.
    In the late 1970s, we went on a family holiday in the Allgäu (mountainous region further south from where we live) just after Christmas. Half way through it snowed so heavily our B&B hosts advised us to break off the holiday and start for home. It was good advice, and the drive home took all my Dad's driving skill and concentration. For a change, my sister and I were quiet in the back of the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1995 was heavier than 2013 but it cleared quickly. In 2013 there were still cars getting into trouble down the back road a week later. Unfortunately I have no 1995 photographs.

      Delete
  5. Eye-catching post title - it made me smile.
    Driving in snow is challenging - your wife must be singularly determined, though, of course, pregnancy does affect one's decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps the wrong decision was for her to set off in the first place. After that she had little choice but to keep going.
      The expression is one that seemed to be used quite a lot in the 1950s and early 1960s, at least in the North. I was surprised to hear it again. I suppose it derived from "hurt like b" which has some kind of logic (not that I would know!). As a child I had no idea it could might a more literal meaning. We were innocent.

      Delete
  6. Your wife and yourself both came out of it well as far as the snow was concerned but it is somewhat sad we do not see snow as the photo above now. After all the hype about centimetres of snow being on its way, all we had was sleet all yesterday with a brief snowing episode which soon melted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was pathetic. BBC Leeds extended the late Wednesday news bulleting with special warnings. We did have a couple of lorries sliding around in the sluch for a while.

      Delete
  7. I believe 1948 and the 62 - 63 winters were very bad for snow apparently. I heard stories of people walking on top of dry stone walls to get about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those years are legendary. Where we are there are memories of the railway arch blocked to the top with drifts, and men standing on the snow to mend the signalling cables on top of the bridge.

      Delete
    2. My brother was born in late October 1947, and the health visitor had to walk across snow covered fields to get to our house in early 1948 as the roads were impassible. 1963 was my first year at grammar school, and the first three days of term after Christmas were the only times that anyone could remember the school closing for any reason. Where we lived in Sussex it had started snowing lunchtime on Boxing Day 1962, and there was still snow on the ground in the first week of March, and daytime temperatures stayed below freezing for most of February. Neighbours with oil fired central heating had no heating as the oil froze in the outside tanks.
      I've certainly never seen anything like it since.

      Delete
    3. I would imagine you are not sorry at all to never see another winter like that! What did people do for heat once their oil froze?

      Delete
    4. I remember 1963 but was not really troubled by it. No schools closed in our town, although then all children and teachers walked to school. There have been some good TV documentaries about both 1947 and 1963. The 1947 ones show railway locomotives frozen solid covered under snow.

      Delete
  8. That's incredible! What good descriptions you have given and I love the pictures. I didn't know you have such deep snows there. We normally have around six inches of snow here but there have been several big ones that looked like your first picture. I once lived a year in Colorado and the snow was so deep against the door that we could not open it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not had it so deep since the 2013 pictures. Before 2000 there would be a bad spell most years. It is not so much the quantity as the drifting that piles it up. Blocked doors have occurred.

      Delete
  9. That is a great story. So glad you and the missus made it home.
    2013 was The Big Snow over here. The West of the island where we were living
    was snowed in for the best part of a week. Twenty foot drifts blocked all roads and power lines were downed. Thankfully we had an open fireplace and plenty of wood to burn plus a gas hob to boil water and soup. Candles and torches for light. Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2013 pictures were also the last big snow here. I doubt it will happen again now, but one can't be sure. It's fun for a time, but when it stays for a week it is too long.

      Delete
  10. Oh yes, I remember it well! I was three weeks away from giving birth to my first child so my husband didn't dare camp down at work, he worked in Bradford then. The roads weren't too bad when he set off but once he was about five miles from home he ended up abandoning the car as he couldn't drive any further. He covered the remainder of his journey on foot. I remember looking out of the window and seeing him turn the corner, he looked like the Abominable Snowman trudging through all the snow and covered in the stuff. Baby hung on till the 19th of February, thank goodness, I wouldn't have fancied my chances getting to hospital that night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who could forget it? I bet you were glad to see him. Weren't there reports of babies born in cars, and some rescued by helicopter?

      Delete
  11. Snow - the price we pay for living in The Pennines. Plenty of it about today but going fast. Sun threatening to come out as I write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your blog, it seems you had much more than we did. I think it dropped a bit further north than predicted.

      Delete
  12. Holy cow! Those snaps from 2013 make me feel cold just looking at them.
    Staying with the car would not have been a comfortable experience, to say the very least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot more in 1995 but it went much more quickly. Even so, I would have frozen in the car once the engine was turned off, although I suppose I could have wrapped myself up in exam scripts.

      Delete
  13. I was then, snowed in at lodge moor hospital ,:for three consecutive shifts . We had relatives dishing lunches out and a patient manning the phones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 1995 it cleared fairly quickly the next day in the Leeds-Bradford area, but at Lodge Moor on the edge of the Peak District I guess it took longer. An experience never forgotten I imagine.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.