Google Analytics

Thursday 11 January 2024

Information Systems

Let’s have another boring computing post.  

Writing in November about how careful we once had to be in saving and backing up our computer files, I remembered something else that was difficult: just getting information in or out of a computer. It happens now as if by magic: writing and reading stuff on smart phones, social media, Blogger, ... it is  all so easy. We don’t have to think about what goes on behind the scenes. Most of us have no interest. 

But, until the nineteen-nineties, computers were for nerds. As one of those nerds, I feel fortunate to have seen how things developed. I could still write programs to accept typed-in text, or to send a screen to a printer, but thankfully I no longer have to.

My desk at work in 1990

Back in 1970, computers were near-fantasies. Few had seen one except on television or in futuristic films: ‘Tomorrow’s World’ and ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ come to mind. At work in accountancy, we had one client who used ledger cards with magnetic stripes, and there were golf-ball typewriters with primitive memory, but they were thought of as business machines rather than computers.

My friend, Neville, was the first I knew to latch on to the potential. He undertook a project as part of his business studies course, and that led to a job in the computer division of a Hull supermarket. This is the kind of thing he worked on: a system to help supermarket managers replenish stocks. They drew lines on forms that could be read by machine. It used forests of paper. The used forms (blank on the back) kept Neville and friends in rough notepaper for years; me throughout my university studies. They were great for lecture notes.

1970s Supermarket Stock System

Around this time, I took a job with a Leeds clothing manufacturer where account entries were made through yet more football-coupon forms. The forms went to a data centre to be coded on to punched cards and fed into “the computer”, which we were never allowed near. The data was printed on huge concertinaed sheets bound into weighty folders. Later, we all had to go on a course to be taught how to write numbers properly, in readiness for Optical Character Recognition which cut out the card punching part of the process. The weighty folders remained long after I’d left.  

1970s Nominal Ledger System

Later, on a computing course, I learnt programming on teletypewriter terminals connected to a mainframe computer. They printed all your input and output on wide rolls of paper, and reprinted it all repeatedly. 

These step-by-step exchanges continued after screens came in. Everything was typed in as text and printed on to a scrolling screen. It even happened with games. I remember playing a version of ‘Star Trek’ in which you moved the ship by typing a location you wanted to fly to, such as G27, and it dislayed and re-displayed your new position and those of all the objects around after every move. The ease of Windows, icons, mice, pointers, and colour graphics were still a long time away, and touch-sensitive screens even further. Voice and gesture input were not even dreamed of.

Not until around 1985 did we see the kind of systems we might recognise today, with on-screen forms and menus. The first I worked with was written in DIBOL and looked like this:

 

You could get quite excited about it. But, although it looked a bit like a modern windows system, it wasn’t. Every part of that screen is made up of text-like characters. It had to be planned out very carefully. Fortunately, not by me.

This system can be seen on the right-hand screen in the photograph of my desk at the top of this post. It was on a ‘dumb’ terminal connected to the DEC computer system. The screen on the left is an IBM business PC of that time, similarly unsophisticated. It was really something to be allowed two screens! 

Just a few more of the things I kept. Like the old disks and tapes on the earlier post, they were used as teaching examples. They won’t be needed again.

28 comments:

  1. Computers have gone a long way from the first beginnings. And the human brain has adapted them all along the way. Criminality has crept in of course. Our medical records are all on file, and there is nothing more jolly than seeing your fractured ankle online with the doctor in attendance. :) What worries me though is education. Short sharp bites of information distributed to everyone in class leads to boring essays..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making things easier to use does not mean that what they are used for becomes easier. The two things are not the same.

      Delete
  2. 'Tomorrow's World'. Those where the days with Judith Hann. I suppose our mobile phones are miniature computers? Was it a Yorkshire man or Lancastrian who invented the Tinternet and T'web?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of those old programmes are online now, like time-warps. Isn't Berners-Lee from London?

      Delete
  3. Two screens?? You were obviously a Very Important Person back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, but they don't tell you that until you hand in your notice.

      Delete
  4. I remember being underwhelmed when a friend was given a used computer in the early 90s. I don't know what the system was but it was just green characters on a black screen. Then my step mother was given a computer with the Windows 3.1 operating system. Now we seemed to getting somewhere. We bought our first I think in '95 and it came with Windows 95. What a wonderous thing it was. Finally I could see the point of computers and the information super highway that I then had access to. I used to able to physically fix problems with it, now, I don't bother. They rarely go wrong anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all text based at the start, typing in commands such as "ln" or "dir" or "rename" - all logical so long as you were one of the insiders. WIMPs interfaces (windows, icons, mice and pointers" made it so much easier, but Gates ripped off the whole idea from research that had been carried out by Xerox.

      Delete
  5. I used the first typewriter that had that ball font, when they were introduced in the North of England, or so my boss and the salesbloke said.

    I tested it, they wanted a speedy typist to try it out, and hated it because it was so damn slow. I looked at the font and said, this isn't a great design, look, b and v are together but can only be accessed with an almost 360° turn, that's too slow.

    The salesbloke said, true 60s mansplaining spirit, well there aren't any words needing those letters together! I said, obviously there are!

    My boss, much brighter than the IBM man, told him to take it away and come back with a better model. I still remember that so long ago! Either they speeded it up or typists got slower, because eventually they were all over the place.

    Back then the computer people used to march about importantly, carrying big items they inserted into walls of mysterious gear in the Computer Room, access restricted, no dust allowed. Maybe you were one of them? They were like high priests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't one of those mainframe guys. In those days I was just a user banned from the computer room. They liked to keep it all a mystery. I moved into computers later, although it was still nerdy then. Interesting recollections about the golf ball typewriters.

      Delete
  6. How far we have come! At The University of Stirling in the early seventies, I would sometimes walk along the corridor where the Computer Studies Department was located. It was a very small department and nobody really knew what went on behind those doors but once one of the doors was open and I could see banks of instrumentation - like massive central heating radiators. I guess they had less power and memory than a modern smartphone. Meantime, as an English Studies student, all my essays were handwritten and any research had to be done in the main library. There was no googling back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Computer people liked to behave like mystics.
      I think we were far more in touch with our own thought processes when academic work was done with print and pen. With computers, I think we still produce better work when we think with our heads without letting computers take over.

      Delete
    2. Interesting observation - I had to draft a difficult legal argument this morning and resorted to writing it our long hand first! Slower, lots of crossings out, arrows, rearrangements of paragraphs. I could do all that in the email but somehow the hand movement writing is connected to the brain more effectively than typing.

      Delete
  7. I was so fortunate to have the president of the company understand the future of computers and plunk a screen and keyboard on my desk in 1969. I learned BASIC and used the first programs out (on floppy discs!). I even taught a friend BASIC and she went on to become a medical profession executive. She told everyone it's all because I showed her BASIC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exciting to be in it during those early years. You had to be very disciplined programming in Basic otherwise the code quickly became unintelligible. The GOTO statement was too easy. I'm glad I was taught structured programming in Pascal.

      Delete
  8. My first job was as a keypunch operator. I tried explaining that to my kids. I think they thought I was making it up. Debby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same when we look at, say, old farming tools. Technology moves on with increasing speed.

      Delete
  9. Yes, a lot has changed in the computer world. When I started work at the publisher of weekly papers for small-ish communities, to design a page you had to type it all in with text commands, seeing what you typed on one screen. On the second, bigger, screen you then saw it appear as if by magic in the way it would later look, with headlines a certain size and font, body a smaller size and not bold, and so on. Woe to you if you made a mistake - an entire article could come out printed in bold with its headline in regular font. "Opening" a command always meant you had to "close" it, too, very much like HTML still works.
    I appreaciated and understood the logic behind it, but am rather glad I rarely need to do something like that now.
    By the way, the background of the screen was dark, while the writing appeared in an amber colour (of course in print it was black).
    The finished articles were stored on large floppy discs and from there fed into a machine that basically was a big photo develover. The finished sheets (on a smooth kind of photo paper) were then manually arranged by two ladies at large lit-up desks before the complete pages for each paper were carried downstairs to the printing press.
    A lot of work for small papers that were probably read by 10 % of recipients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For "develover" please read "developer".

      Delete
    2. Goodness! That does bring back how difficult things were. The last 2 system images above also represent the screen in reverse shading. The screen on the left in the photograph show how it really was. It shows a user manual produced using WordPerfect which also required in-line codes to specify the appearance. You then had to switch to another part of the software to show how it would be when printed. That's why MS Word took the crown - it allowed you to edit in the form it eventually appeared - WYSIWYG what you see is what you get.

      Delete
  10. Started work in 1979 and made to use a computer. Hated it and never got to grips with the thought process required to make them work for me - despite being a logical person. Maybe that logic was me problem. I suspect I go at things to quickly and couldn't slow down enough to consider the 'steps' in the process. I have seen someone write (in video form) a program to get a robot to put a piece of screwed up paper into a waste bin. It soooo clarified the process of programming but too late to help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 1979 they were not easy things to use at all. Programming seems to be something you can either do or not, but to do it well is a highly skilled task - one of the insiders to the Post Office software scandal said that half of the development team were not up to the job.

      Delete
  11. We've come a long way in a relatively short time. It used to be Silicone Valley, UK style here, but all the software houses have gone, sold to France and Italy and Germany, apart from Fujitsu, which bought up ICL. ICL wasn't much cop and Fujitsu is no better - same people under a different brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes down to people who bullshit their way into the job, rather than wanting to do it well. It worries me how anything good in this country gets sold off to overseas owners.

      Delete
  12. It is amazing how far the computer world has come! I remember when punch cards were used. I used the ball type typewriter, IBM Selectric, in my first couple of jobs. I never did computer work but my husband worked with mainframes until he retired and both my sons are software developers. When you look at what a cell phone can do now it really is mind blowing! I enjoyed your post Tasker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think cell phone programming attracts all the expertise, and is very well paid.

      Delete
  13. I remember those huge, huge computers in a bank (where I was a placement student) which used card-to-tape convertors.
    I confess I belong to the Team "We don’t have to think about what goes on behind the scenes. Most of us have no interest." - but I am very, very thankful that I had to learn all those "How to use a computer" stuff - otherwise one would feel like an illiterate, an analphabet today, totally helpless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that even the early "outdated" skills can still give insight into how thinks work today. I hope so, as it increasingly applies to me.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.