Google Analytics

Friday 5 January 2024

Giants

The Times Newspaper used to print the names of every student in the country awarded a First Class honours degree. They couldn’t do it now. There would be too many. A quick estimate tells me at least fifty times the number. As well as there being four or five times as many students, the number of Firsts has exploded. Around one in three now get them. In my day it was more like one in fifty. The percentage of Upper Seconds has increased too. Students are clearly becoming more intelligent, and universities are doing a much better job.

Or is it that universities now have to compete with each other? They have to run costly marketing operations to bring in students. “Come to Cleckheaton University. We give higher grades.”
 

The marketing departments concoct increasingly strange schemes. The most unlikely I came across was a tie-up between the university where I worked and the local Rugby League club. For those unfamiliar with Rugby League, it is a professional team sport played in Yorkshire and Lancashire, and other parts of the world. I suppose the idea was that the club received sponsorship from the university and extra support through discounted student tickets, while the university benefited from match-day advertising and publicity. 

One day I was told I would be taking two new students in my personal tutorial group. I was not pleased because I already had around fifteen. Having a personal tutor is a good idea. It provides a named person to whom students can turn for individual guidance and support. It works best through individual meetings several times a term. Students get to know and trust their tutors and air their concerns, both academic and personal. But it is labour-intensive, and when there are large numbers of students and fewer tutors then short cuts are taken. Our managers decided we would do it through weekly, hour-long, group meeting. They came up with a framework covering study skills and similar issues. The students saw it as just another lecture, and a pointless one at that, because they knew it all already. They sat there reluctant to discuss anything. Well, would you? “I have mental health issues because I’ve fallen out with my parents and I can’t start that essay.” The ones that say nothing at all are the ones you really need to reach. I struggled to make it work.

The two new students were from the rugby club; professional rugby players. They were giants. One was particularly striking in appearance. He had long blond hair, was 6 feet 5 inches tall (1.98m) and weighed over 18 stones (116kg). I felt intimidated just standing next to him (not knowing then that he is actually a gentle soul). He would later play for England and remains on television today as a commentator and pundit. One of his uncles had been a famous professional wrestler. Please don’t name them, or the club or the university in comments. Use initials if you have to.

They were to take the Sports Psychology degree part-time with a view to gaining qualifications useful after their playing days were over. Perhaps it was good in principle, but it was awful in practice. I think they were led to believe it would be easy.

For a start, the club retained first-call on their time. They had to go to training sessions and all the other activities with sponsors, schools and other community groups. Their attendance at university was low, and they came to only two tutoring group meeting. They were late both time, and the room fell into star struck silence as they walked in. Girls swooned, as did some of the boys.

Lecturers began to tell me about their absence from teaching, especially in the experimental design module based on the SPSS statistics software. As their personal tutor, I asked them to see me, but they never came. They abandoned their studies.

I met the tall guy again more recently. I was walking along a field path near home and he passed in the opposite direction. He lives around two miles away in what some call the millionaires’ village. I said his name as we passed.

“Hi! How you doing?” he said in a friendly voice, used to being recognised.

I mentioned where we had met before. He couldn’t remember me, but did remember the university episode, and that it had not turned out well.

I said that was because it was never given a proper chance. Presentation without substance. He agreed. Pawns in a bigger game. It was all about how it looked. We both seemed pleased with that. What a pity it could not have been said twenty years ago. The powers that be would not have liked it. University staff have lost their jobs for making accusations of grade inflation and declining standards. 

21 comments:

  1. If like here, it is is still happening. As the saying goes, before you change something, find out why it is the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In these types of organisation, being a "leader of change" can be a powerful career move, even when the change is negative. These people seemed to delight in making everyone else's jobs more difficult.

      Delete
  2. I guess that I am not qualified to speak to this. I can only say that I know people who, for all their education, are shockingly dumb people. I know this sounds like an awful thing to say, condescending and rude, but they are. Now I will slink off to my corner and be ashamed of my comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are mostly correct, showing common sense even if not qualified. Several who have lived in student halls of residence have told me that the "highly intelligent" medical students have the least common sense of all. All they are good at is passing exams.

      Delete
  3. Similarly, Germany nowadays has way too many young people go to uni (and often leave without a clear idea of what they can and want to do) while what we really need is a skilled workforce in all sorts of industries, from crafts to technology and building to administration and, of course, the ever-expanding field of health care.
    Life for the gentle blond giant seems to have turned out well, even though his stint at uni was not successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was lucky, but many professional sports players have difficulty adapting to life after, even those cushioned by wealth.
      We used to have a system of polytechnics and technical colleges which worked well, but they have either been turned into universities giving out academic degrees (in the name of equality) or underfunded and run down. Some good technical colleges remain, but they are viewed as inferior career paths.

      Delete
  4. Grade inflation does no-one any favours. It just means that people have to gain more and more qualifications before they can start to jump the hurdles towards a career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there has been an explosion in Masters courses and PhDs. From what I've seen, a lot of the Masters work is of a standard that would once have been considered average undergraduate level, and some of the PhDs I saw were shockingly poor with little originality. A PhD should make an original contribution to knowledge, but some students now want a definition of what that means so that they can demonstrate beyond doubt that they have achieved it. Of course, if it can be specified beforehand, than it is not original.

      Delete
  5. The masters degree that I am currently doing is of the highest standard imaginable and I am in the January break parodying part of Wuthering Heights. reading Nabokov Pale Fire and expected to know it in detail, have just written an assignment of critical commentary on 15 of my own poems and been expected to write new ones since term ended together with evidence of editing and understanding of my poetry from an academic view point. I also have an extended reading list of journals to read. I am so staggered by the standard of the course that I have a new respect for anybody who has been through the University of East Anglia Creative Writing Masters and that whatever writing they are now doing, they have at least been rigorously stretched in the discipline of creative writing. I got a First in my Fine Art degree 20years ago. I am not sure whether it was at the point where more were awarded but I was proud of it at the time and still am. I worked hard for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that comment got rather long and I am not angry but I thought I would just point out what I am doing right now and how bloody hard it is!

      Delete
    2. There is a lot of excellence around at all levels.
      With undergraduates the grade inflation gradually crept in with tuition fees and loans, when students began to demand "the degrees they had paid for". I think the proportion of Firsts doubled from 2015 to 2022, and it is now almost impossible to fail a degree if you follow the procedures. Some will play the system to get maximum reward for minimum work. Not everyone is conscientious like us. Anyone with a 2:1 or First from 20 years ago or earlier has good reason to feel aggrieved.
      Masters degrees mean so many different things. There are Masters by research, advanced courses like yours, courses that lead to professional qualifications where standards are essential, and "conversion" Masters like the course I did which aim to bring graduates to degree standard in a second subject. Many of these lead to marketable qualifications, so "what we paid for" issues crop up again. Yet they all get MA or MSc or similar.
      I have seen some brilliant PhDs, but some outrageous practices too.
      Your course sounds fantastic. I always say if it's not difficult it's not worth doing. I can't imagine anyone taking a creative writing Masters for the piece of paper alone.

      Delete
  6. Grade inflation starts much earlier than degree level - 'O' levels were dumbed down to GCSE, 'A' levels became so simplified that almost all candidates get top grades and so on. It reminds me of conversations with US post-grad students 50 years ago, who found that at that time a US first degree was about equivalent to a UK 'A' level, and they were hopelessly out of their depth compared to the UK first degree students. I think that we've now sunk our first degrees to that previous US level, and certainly if they had the same standard as 50 years ago very few of today's students would get firsts. Incidentally, must declare at this point having slagged off these degrees, that I bought my MA for £6 back in the 1970s (although there were extenuating circumstances!).
    What has been lost, as commented above, is a sensible spread of technical, vocational as well as academic career pathways. To say that half of school leavers should go to university does a great disservice to everyone - the institutions, the students, and ultimately the country as we di not get a sensible spread of talented individuals across all walks of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all seems geared to preventing those who are not academic from feeling bad about themselves. Many awarded good degrees today would not have passed the 11+ in the 1950s and 1960s. I don't see this change as being entirely bad because modern economies need educated workforces, but as most of us seem to thing, it has all got out of balance.

      Delete
  7. Back when I was taking my degree in accounting, for one class in my middle America university we had a part time professor from Boston (East Coast). My class was micro economics (maybe macro; I don't remember). He told us half the grade would be on a paper due at the end of the semester. He outlined what he was looking for. This was in the seventies. I wrote a paper on the economics of converting abandoned rail lines into bicycle roads. When he returned the papers, I had a C+. I was crestfallen. He held up my paper and said it had the highest grade in the class; all other papers had C to failing. He said it was his attempt to stem grade inflation. In any other class in the university, he said, my C+ would be an A. Etcetc. When I remember the research I had to do to write that paper (way before internet), I think I disliked his snobbish Boston self honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so unfair. What would happen now is that the full range of marks he had awarded would be adjusted upwards to the same statistical norms as the marks awarded by other professors. Then, they might be re-marked a second time and changed again. Then an external examiner might adjust them again - I remember told that my university were not awarding enough Firsts and 2:1s compared with other institutions, Students would not be aware that any of this had gone on.

      Delete
  8. Grade inflation you find in Germany too, very much.
    Even more: they tried to make everybody study - and those (who later might be the better bread-earners), craftsmen, were not much venerated. So sad.
    I went to my university in Mainz because I had met a guy who played in the national basketball team - he was really tall, 2,06 m. Soon later I met my husband - he is 1,98m, that's fine. And our son is 2,02m tall - but both are healthily built tending to be slim.
    As I am 1,78m and my DiL 1,77m tall, I wonder how tall the triplets will become - I loved my height because it enabled me to model - and I was never overlooked when I entered a room. (My sister, 3 years younger, and just 1,62m, was sent to the schoolyard when she started as a teacher - though she managed to resist that old teacher-person who tried it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is as if someone is trying to make everyone the same, so there are no disadvantages in having different abilities. Perhaps everyone should be the same height. Sorry, Britta, you are going to have to have a bit cut off!

      Delete
  9. When I was at university, I believe I belonged to the 14% of my generation who followed that path. Nowadays it's around 50% - though calculations do seem to vary considerably. Many of the young people who have followed university courses in recent years have effectively been hoodwinked in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely. I am all for giving them the opportunity, but some would be better following less academic courses. Part of the problem is that they have to make courses academic to justify their degree status, so purely applied and practical stuff is overlooked. They should ask us to run things. Then it would be done right.

      Delete
  10. Many years ago when I was still a youngster I was invited to apply for a post of lecturer in a regional management centre of a university because as a practicing local government officer I used to guest lecture for the centre. I went for the interview out of interest. After the interview I went for a walk with one of the board. He simply said "Some people are suited to academia and some people are there to do the actual work. Stay where you are." I withdrew my application. I realised that it was very sound advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked in both sectors and see the advantages and disadvantages of both. It mostly suited me where I was at different times. Managrs who mess others around and play their own personal power games are on both.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.