Google Analytics

Sunday 5 November 2023

Don't Tell 'Em

All the talk of babies on blogs made me think back to when our daughter was born.

We arranged for our son to stay overnight with friend Barbara if needed. She was needed. When the hospital said to make our way in, I took him to her house and she tucked him up in bed top-to-tail with her two-year-old.

We drove to the hospital, but things seemed to come to a stop and there was some discussion as to whether we should return home. A lavender bath got things moving again, and our daughter was born at half-past-one in the morning.

I returned home to get some sleep. I phoned Barbara in the morning and asked to speak to our son as it seemed only right he should be the first to know. She gave him the phone, and I told him he had a baby sister.

"Oh! Right! I'm going to finish my breakfast now." That was all he said. He hung up.

I returned to the hospital and brought wife and daughter home. In the meantime, Barbara had taken our son to nursery school from where our child minder picked him up later in the day.

I went to collect him. The child minder was still very much in the dark. She was desperate to know what had happened. What did we have?

"He won't tell us," she said. "He hasn't said a word all day. He wouldn't tell Barbara, either. He has refused to say anything at all."

I gave her our good news.

Son would now claim he was practising the levels of discretion and confidentiality required in the professional capacity in which he now works. He was four at the time.

A chip off the old block. When we got married, I didn't tell anyone at the computer company where I worked. They thought I was just going on holiday. They only found out when the company received notification that my tax code had changed to reflect my new marital status. The payroll administrator did not  practice the levels of discretion and confidentiality required.

21 comments:

  1. Playing your cards close to the chest runs in your family then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Closer than that. We put them in waterproof bags and secrete them inside our bodies.

      Delete
  2. Known as good old Tasker for many years in his community, Russian spy Taskovich Dunorenko was led from his home early this morning to face undisclosed charges, according to agency personnel. He had for many years been a secret operative of a succession of Russian governments, who liked to leave moles in place indefinitely. The agency processing his case said there was nothing definite about Taskovich that they could detect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could be hiding secret Lancastrian sympathies.

      Delete
  3. Cool hand Tasker and son. I heard of someone on a plane telling a complete stranger how he had won the national lottery but never told his wife the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering how to tell her after all this time. Telling a stranger would leave me at risk of blackmail.

      Delete
  4. The reaction of children to a new sibling must vary a lot. Maybe your son thought if he ignored the matter, it would go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There could be something in that, or at least taking time for the idea to sink in.

      Delete
  5. I have read this post and now I am off to bed. Night night Tasker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good little boy you are.

      Delete
    2. I have read your cheeky retort and now I am off for a Number Two.

      Delete
  6. So....what you're saying is that your son is a chip off the old block!

    My daughter was so excited for her baby brother. We all walked to the playground when she got home from school. She wanted to push him on the swing. We explained that he was too little. She wanted to carry him to the top of the slide and we could catch him at the bottom. We said no. She burst into loud noisy sobs and wailed, "he's not any fun at all!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit like that when my own brother was born. He wasn't interested in my toy cars.
      As regards the computer company, I've written before what a set of unprincipled spivs they were. By then they had made half the staff redundant, including the two I got on with best, and I had little in common with those left. I escaped six months later.

      Delete
  7. I am (and have always been) the opposite - news (good or bad) need to be told, to anyone who might - or might not - be interested :-)
    Which is one reason for me for blogging.
    On the other hand, my work means I have to keep confidential matters confidential at all times, and I have no problem keeping my mouth shut (or my fingers off the keyboard) in those matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Response to Debby above says a bit more about my attitudes towards the computer company by then. Yes, it's simply not worth risking one's job by telling people about confidential matters, although close family sometimes get to know.

      Delete
  8. The comments made me laugh. Clearly your son mastered 'need to know' very early on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His technique now is to let out some secrets making you think you have them all.

      Delete
  9. I was sworn to secrecy about a couple of family issues recently, including my step grand daughter being pregnant. When I was allowed to mention them for the first time I went into the pub to give the news to everyone and found that they had all known about it for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you were not accused of having a loose tongue.

      Delete
  10. Young children see the world from a completely different angle to us, I suppose they have to learn to grow up to our ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suspect in part he did not know what he was supposed to think or how to react, but it was still quite an achievement not to say anything.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.