Google Analytics

Thursday 22 February 2024

Hand Signals and Semaphor Indicators

Amongst the audiotapes I mentioned towards the end of last year, is one recorded by my aunt and cousins in the early nineteen-sixties. My uncle had taken a job in Germany, but they had yet to join him. They mention near the beginning that I had brought my recording machine so they could wish him a happy birthday. My own thirteen-year-old voice is heard briefly at the end of the tape, but the less said about that, the better.

What forgotten memories it brings back!  

After the usual birthday song, they talk about what they have been doing. My youngest cousin says: “Here is a song we learnt at school”, and begins to sing:

Sides together right,
Sides together left,
Sides together right left,
Sides together both.

We did that one in my year too. It was a dance in which you moved your arms about like a boy scout semaphore signaller. It then moves on to your toes: “Sides together point, sides together point ...”. Dear Miss Cowling: how you loved to join in. Remind me how to point both toes at the same time.

Then my aunt mentions she is about to take her driving test. Our town was a great place for it. It is completely flat with no hills. To test your hill start, you either did your three-point turn on a street with a particularly high camber, or went through a T-junction where the road rises a few inches due to the spoil dug out from the docks. There were also no traffic lights, no roundabouts, and only one zebra crossing. It limited what you could fail on. A few years later, I passed first time, four months after my seventeenth birthday. The test centre there closed years ago.

Even so, my aunt was anxious about the test. She took it in a Fiat 600 shipped back from a previous overseas stint in Aden. The Fiat was fine there, but a bit tinny and unsuited to the Yorkshire weather. There was always something wrong with it.

Things did not begin well. She told the story many times. To say she was a nervous driver, lacking in confidence, would be understatement. The examiner made no attempt to put her at ease, staring blank-faced ahead throughout, giving strict instructions in a stern voice. 

In those days, you had to be able to use hand signals. Remember those? Sides together right for a right turn, a kind of circling movement for left, and a wave like a sea gull to slow down. There were also special signals for white-gloved policemen on point duty. It was not easy through the tiny windows of the Fiat, especially if it was throwing it down with rain. The longer it went on, the surer my aunt became that she had failed.

It was a relief to finish the hand signals and be allowed to use the electronic indicators. However, the Fiat did not have the modern self-cancelling flashing lights we have now. They were the old semaphore type. A little orange-tipped arm, about six inches long, flipped out from the side of the wing. You had to remember to put it back in again after you had turned.

So when one of the semaphore indicators flipped out but refused to flip back in again, my aunt lost all remaining hope of success. She pulled up, got out, and tried to push it back in by hand, but it was firmly stuck.  

“Well, that’s it now,” she sighed hopelessly. “I’ve failed. Drive me back to the test centre and I can go home.”

The examiner was stolidly unsympathetic.  

“Get back in woman,” he barked.

She meekly did as told and completed the rest of the test using hand signals.

When they got back, my aunt answered the obligatory questions about road signs, braking distances, and the Highway Code, certain it was futile. The examiner completed his paperwork in stony silence.

“I am pleased to inform you that you have passed,” he announced. He had to repeat it.

“Thank you. Oh thank you,” she stuttered in disbelief. “I promise I won’t let you down.” 

1957 Fiat 600

34 comments:

  1. I learned to drive in Bury St Edmunds where the only roundabouts back then 1973 were tiny ones on housing estates and only one hill used for a hill start. Nearly all learning was done around the housing estates - very quiet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The test appears much more difficult now. From my son's and daughter's experiences, I suspect many of us wouldn't get through so easily now. But some of my dad's generation never had to take a test at all, having started driving before they were introduced.

      Delete
  2. I love the tape and I'm sure Uncle Fred did, too.
    All those hand signals we had to learn - I always enjoyed using them.
    I was taught by an ex-police driving instructor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cousins would murder me if I had included the rest of the tape, but it's brilliant. I liked hand signals too - I'm pretty sure they were originally called "hand" and not "arm" signals.

      Delete
  3. The "sound cloud" does not seem to match with your explanation. There's a boy's East Riding voice and amusingly he refers to "Merseedease" cars. Then there's a tune - "Elsie's Waltz" from the Penis Stone Folk Ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. "East Riding" voice! I'm not sure whether I should be flattered. Merseedears were foreign (like Pyoogoes) and were pronounced as they should be pronounced and not in some posey foreign way, because English people knew best and did not have to pretend to be PC and inclusive then.
      The PFE track is next in the same sound cloud account and follows automatically, and I can't see how to prevent it. The concertina drowns out the other brilliant musicians, especially the bassoon and guitar players.

      Delete
  4. I remember learning hand signals used when riding a bicycle, but I've never heard, seen or learned any for driving a vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still use the left/right arms when out on my bike, but don't trust drivers because they either don't always see them, or they ignore them anyway.

      Delete
  5. I love your Yorkshire accent Tasker. Why can't we have Northerners reading the News?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 35 years ago there was a BBC weather presenter called Paula Robinson who had a strong Middlesbrough accent. I used to love hearing it when I lived in Scotland because it made me feel nearer home. One day, she came out with the phrase "There'll be blustery showers on exposed coasts". Never forgotten.

      Delete
  6. I also remember having to learn those hand signals.
    Who was that posh boy on the tape recording??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Course I was posh. I had a tape recorder! Actually the family tape recorder after my dad inherited some money, but I was the only one who understood how to work it.

      Delete
  7. I absolutely HATE hearing my recorded voice; to me it sounds completely different to what I THINK I sound like, no matter how old I was at the time of recording.
    My Mum learnt to drive and got her license a bit earlier than usual because she had to drive her boss, an architect, to his various building sites. He had a heart condition and was not allowed to drive himself. She was 16 or 17 (when you were legally an adult only at the age of 21), very pretty and very blond. There is a steep hill in our town, and it used to be an almost daily occurrence that cars who had to stop there for the traffic light couldn't start again without difficulty. My Mum was fully aware of her assets by that time and always found willing young men who gave her boss' car a good push to re-start at that hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think I am not embarrassed by this recording? But what the heck. It's funny.
      I think we all have amusing driving stories in us.

      Delete
  8. Oh Tasker this did amuse me. My friend had a little Austin 2 seater with a fold back canvas roof. She had to do hand signals through a little triangular bit in the corner of the side window. Those were the days my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to beg my aunt to tell us her driving test story time and time again. It was hilarious when told by her. She was a great mimic.

      Delete
  9. Ah, the Fiat...also known as "Fix It Again Tony."
    I do remember the hand signals and cars with the semaphores.
    Not sure if I remember it correctly, but it seems to me that back in the 1950s when one parked on a dark/and or foggy street overnight, the semaphore on the street side of the car was supposed to be left out so that oncoming cars had another visual of the vehicle. Either that or lots of our neighbors simply forgot to push them back in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sums up Fiats exactly. I remember in the seventies we had to have illuminated parking lights when parked on the street. You closed the drivers side window on them to hold them in place, and powered them by a wire - not sure now how it was connected. If you forgot over the weekend you would have a flat battery. And you had to park facing the right way so the rear reflectors showed red. Can't remember when that requirement was dropped.

      Delete
  10. Your poor Aunt. The story brought back my first driving test (there were many, and fortunately I passed all bar the motorbike on first try). These days the test in UK involves a series of videos in which you have to click on a 'window' of anticipated risk. The trouble with being a long time drive was that I was looking too far ahead for the system and spotting kids with footballs and people on bikes etc before the 'window' opened on the video. That's a fail before you even get on the motorbike....(took that test in rain and was bricking it, especially trying to do a hill start on a heavy 600cc motorbike on a wet road).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The test video is perverse. You have to understand how it works as well as spotting the hazards. There used to be a story about the bike test where the examiner jumped out in front of the wrong bite when testing the emergency stop. The poor chap taking the test was left riding round and round wondering when the emergency stop was coming, but the examiner had gone to hospital. Probably a myth.

      Delete
  11. My first test was on a moped. The tester stood on a road and told you to drive somewhere round the block. I got lost. Eventually found him and got passed, think I was about 16 years old. Must have been 17 when I passed my driving licence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See probably mythical story immediately above.
      Quite a lot of lads at school got mopeds and passed their bike tests at 16. I was never allowed to have one.

      Delete
  12. Taken back to the United PC early seventies

    ReplyDelete
  13. In a Morris Minor owners' manual, I discovered that those pop out turn indicators are called trafficators. They always looked so cute. I'd actually forgotten about hand signals. I only remember the hand stop signal and the turning right signal. I don't think the others were used here. There must have some winter reluctance in your country to make hand signals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing quite like sticking your are out of the window into the sleet and snow. Yes, trafficaters. I've also seen it applied to the flashing ones.

      Delete
  14. Hand signals were still being taught when I took driver's ed. Seems so funny that so much time was spent teaching these skills, and now, people can't be bothered to use a turn signal at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that, theoretically, hand signals are still in the UK test, but neither of our children knows much about them. As you say, some drivers don't bother at all and should not be on the road.

      Delete
  15. I learned to drive in an ancient VW beetle with those signals. On this old car the left turn one stuck and you had to drive with one hand while banging on the inside of where the signal was located to retract it. Stick shift of course. Quite an exercise in coordination, driving that old beater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from malfunctions, driving was then in many ways more of a skill and pleasure. The latest cars are like sitting at a computer game console. It's hard to understand they have real-world consequences.

      Delete
  16. Our first car was a Morris Minor with trafficators that tended to jam. If I wanted to turn left I had to lean over and bang the side of the car to release the indicator. If that failed I wound down the window and used a hand signal. Loved that car, red leather seats, we went everywhere in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Morris Travellers with wood on the sides. And the Mini Travellers.

      Delete
  17. Whew! She did it. :)
    We are meant to use specific hand signals when riding a bicycle. For example: signal right turns by extending your right arm OR upturning your left. I just jut my left arm out toward the left when turning in that direction and perform the same motion with my right arm when turning right. I had a motorist verbally chastise me for not using the 'correct' arm motion once. If my eyes could have rolled further back in their head at that, then they would have been stuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some drivers will always detest cyclists whatever they do. They think bicycles should not be on the road.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.